Thursday, April 28, 2011

First impressions: Nike+ SportsWatch GPS



Nike running has joined forces with TomTom GPS to bring out a Shoe pod/GPS combination watch for runners. It is currently available in the US and should be in Canadian stores by summer. The goal of this watch was to provide a "running tool" that is easy to use, straight forward in design, and of course, fashionable.


Great Video Here.

I am enjoying the watch so far, I like the simplicity and the fact that it's as easy to use as the Nike+band that I've been using for 3 years. You simply need to select "RUN" from the menu, determine whether you are using Shoe Pod or GPS or both for tracking, wait for either or both of them to link, then go...


There is also a benefit that I hadn't thought of before... I have, on occasion, left the house with shoes that I wasn't running in the day before. What this meant was that my shoe pod was in the insole of the "other" shoes and therefore I would not be tracking my speed and distance that day. However, I can now just track it using the GPS only feature. Score!


I've gotten quite a few remarks on how great the display is to read, as well as how great the watch actually looks. The backlight feature is great and just bright enough to read at a quick glance. My older daughter is a huge fan of the tap screen which activates this feature.


Other cool factors/features of the SportWatch are encouragements and "run-reminders" which either high-five you after your run, or after a few days off, pester you to get out there and enjoy some running! Also cool is the fact that all my mileage and records from my Nike+ account and Nike+Band have been uploaded to the "Records" section on the watch, showing my Odometer as well as my top finish times in various distances while using the Nike+ system.



I'm also impressed with the speed at which I've gotten satellite signal lock and the option to start running as soon as it locks onto just the Shoe pod. The fact that I run trails and satellite signal is frequently lost while running, I'm going to be happy that the new sportWatch has me covered with both angles covered.


Next up, I'm going to test out the lap and interval features of the watch. You can set up the SportWatch to autolap your run by basically any interval distance (great!) But I not impressed by the fact that once you select the "programed" lap feature, it takes over the main screen of the watch and you aren't able to choose what you want to be looking at on your home screen. You are still able to customize the "scroll thru" screen at the top of the display, but it would be nice to swap out the Big numbers at the bottom too.


I'm also going to browse through the maps and routes on the Nike+ community to set up some "routes" as well as challenge some established "routes" in the area so that I can take on some ownership as "King of the route" a la Foursquare's "Mayorship".


Lastly, I'm concerned about battery life and its use in an ultra event over 8hrs. I've taken it on one long run of 6hrs and when I synced it right after getting home, it showed less than half battery life. Also, some simple watch functions would have been nice additions (but not essential), like alarm and possibly date. But so far, everything has been good with it.


I'll keep it going and keep you posted.

3 comments:

Ken said...

Forgot to add: Here is one of the runs that I've recorded on the SportWatch with a route. I ran 8.47 mi on 23/4/2011 at 8:05 AM http://go.nike.com/02iccvrs

Derrick said...

Thanks for the review Ken. Seems like a great watch. I like the fact that you can combine the GPS and footpod to blend data. Have you found much difference with the blended option compared to just one or the other. Seems like a perfect thing for trail runners.

KP said...

Great stuff for sure. I'm a bit biased but would not be a Nike+ guy without this great watch. I do know nike will add a stopwatch (to coach others with; or be a fan of track) but I'm not sure if there'll be an alarm to wake you up for your early mornign run.

oh yeah... the manual split timer for track workouts is good with accuracy but you gotta wack the face to ensure it starts your interval. A good trick I found... use your fist.

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive